Videos produced by the MEA Video Production Class, Fall 2010
• Immigrants flock to the U.S. hoping that their children will have greater opportunities than they had themselves…. But are these families satisfied with what they found here?
• Some of Oakland’s foreign born students tell about their own experiences with surprising perspectives about their hopes… and disappointments in the American education system.
Keepin’ It Green
• So maybe we’re not eating enough nutritional food…. and we’re drinking stuff that’s bad for us……what can we do about?
• How about growing our own food…a lot of groups around Oakland are doing it now…it saves money….and the food is organic and much better for us than the food we can buy.
Sexploitation: Oakland Youth In Crisis
Some call it prostitution, others call it sexual exploitation. You’ve seen it. Girls who look like they´re fourteen years old hanging out on Oakland street corners, waiting to get picked up by strangers. Are these youths, criminals, or victims? Our In the Know team looks into the issue, and what´s being done about it.
Love Is A Drug
• Have you every been in love?
• “Yeah a couple of times….but it sucks when you get dumped…
• I know…. when I was in love I couldn’t think straight…couldn’t study…I was a mess..
• Yeah…but it feels great when it’s going good…I would do it again…
What’s For Lunch?
•“What did you have for lunch today? If you’re a typical OUSD student, it was probably pizza, a cheeseburger, or a salad and had about 800 calories.
•You might not like what’s served everyday at school, but the district… and now the US Congress..and the President are doing something about it…
• How do kids get up the energy to go to school everyday….play sports…do their homework…and start all over again the next day…..maybe a little “energy drink” to get them going?”